North Korea fires an ICBM, which falls off Japan

Same player, shoot again. North Korea on Friday launched an ICBM that crashed off the coast of Japan, the latest in a record string of projectile launches in recent weeks as Seoul, Tokyo and Washington await an imminent nuclear test by Pyongyang.

South Korea’s general staff “detected a suspected long-range ballistic missile fired toward the East Sea from the Sunan area of ​​Pyongyang around 10:15 a.m.,” he said, referring to the name Koreans from the Sea of ​​Japan.

Tokyo said the missile traveled about 1,000 km and Japanese forces made no attempt to destroy it in flight. Japanese Defense Minister Yasukazu Hamada stated that the projectile reached a maximum altitude of 6,000 km and concluded that it was an “ICBM-class ballistic missile”, although other details are analyzed.

“The ballistic missile launched by North Korea appears to have fallen into our exclusive economic zone off Hokkaido,” the large island in the north of Japan’s archipelago, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said.

“Acts of Provocation”

This is not the first time a North Korean projectile has ended its course in Japan’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), which is the sea space that extends up to 200 nautical miles (370 km) beyond a state’s coasts, between territorial waters and international waters. North Korea “repeated acts of provocation with unprecedented frequency. We strongly reiterate that this is absolutely unacceptable,” criticized Mr. Kishida.

On November 3, North Korea had already launched an ICBM, but that launch apparently failed, according to Seoul and Tokyo. Last March, the country broke a moratorium it had imposed on the launch of such long-range missiles in 2017.

North Korea fired a short-range ballistic missile earlier on Thursday, hours after a warning from its foreign minister promising a “violent” response to strengthening the security alliance between Seoul, Tokyo and Washington.

23 missiles in one day

North Korea conducted an unprecedented spate of projectile launches in early November, including a missile that fell near South Korea’s territorial waters for the first time since the end of the Korean War in 1953. President Yoon denounced a “de facto territorial invasion”.

On November 2 alone, there were 23 North Korean missile launches, more than all of 2017, when leader Kim Jong Un and then-US President Donald Trump exchanged threats of nuclear war.

In September and October, Pyongyang had already carried out an extensive series of firings, including that of an intermediate-range ballistic missile that flew over Japan for the first time in five years.

Pyongyang justified its show of force in November by citing the “aggressive and provocative” stance of Seoul and Washington, which simultaneously conducted the largest aerial maneuvers ever conducted between them, including stealth aircraft and strategic bombers.

Analysts say North Korea, which is banned from launching ballistic missiles under UN resolutions, has been heartened by the likelihood of escaping further UN sanctions over splits in the Security Council, where China and Russia are blocking any American attempt in that direction.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *