What if Enedis turned off your hot water tank (thanks to Linky)?

As of October 15, Enedis can remotely clip your Cumulus, and you probably won’t even notice it. Explanations.

To avoid blackouts this winter, the public authorities are looking for all means to compensate for the famous peaks in consumption: those times of the day when the French are very numerous to turn on electric plates, televisions, lights, heaters…

One of the main consumption peaks of the day is between 12 and 2 p.m., at midday. Therefore, to save money, RTE and the public sector asked Enedis to use the Linky Connected Meter to ‘off-line’ as many hot water tanks as possible at the time, it was found UFC Que Choisir.

From October 15th until April 15th, customers who benefit from a peak/off-peak tariff will only see their cumulus in operation at night and during the day more.

This temporary interruption “will save the equivalent of 2.5 GW at 12:30 p.m. and 1 GW at 1:00 p.m.,” explains Enedis.

• Who is affected?

The implementation of this eco-gesture affects 4.3 million customers in France. It is based on the Linky counter. This affects residential customers, traders and local authorities who have a subscription for an output of less than or equal to 36 kVA and who have chosen a “peak hour/off-peak” subscription with their electricity supplier. You then benefit from 8 off-peak hours and 16 full hours per day with differentiated tariffs (more attractive in off-peak times). For about 60% of customers, the 8 off-peak hours are concentrated exclusively on the night hours between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. or are distributed between 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. on the one hand and 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. on the other for about 40% of customers.

The 4.3 million customers in France who benefit from the off-peak times between 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. and charge their water heaters during these times are therefore directly affected.

• What will this change for my water heater?

If your Cumulus is programmed to heat up at night, this doesn’t change anything. If you have programmed it to also heat during the day, it will automatically “unplug” during the famous midday off-peak hours without you having to do anything.

Linky can’t tell what kind of device is active in the house: it’s impossible to tell the difference between a TV and a computer. But it can “turn off the automatic switching signal for controlled electrical applications,” Enedis explains. Actually water heater.

For most customers, the measurement will be completely painless, except of course if they use a lot of hot water in the middle of the day.

• Does this change my off-peak times?

Nothing changes except for the water heater. If you benefit from off-peak times at 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. in your contract, this is always the case. If you switch on the television or the heating at these times, you will be billed as usual.

Anne-Katell Mousset and Olivier Chicheportiche

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *